Saturday, September 27, 2008

Families are Blessings

I know how most people feel about posts with no pictures, so I will try to keep this short. This week we lost a member of Brent's family--his mom's (Cherie) husband Kent. It was a tragic accident in which he was killed while riding his bike by a drunk driver. I don't think death is ever easy, but this has been extremely hard because it was so sudden. I just want to say that my heart goes out to Cherie and to all of Kent's family as well.
I can't say that I knew Kent extremely well, but I do know that he and Cherie had a great marriage, and he always welcomed us into his home. And, with us, all of her grandchildren for sometimes weekends at a time. Their house is what a grandparent's home should be--toy room, extra beds, tv's, cookies, trampoline, pool. No wonder all the kids always want to be there! But, even if they lived in a cardboard box the kids would want to be there. Cherie and Kent are the epitome of what grandparents should be, and my kids are lucky to have them.
There is always something to be learned from any trial in life and, if I have learned anything this week, it is to cherish your family. None of us knows how much time we have on this earth, and we should make the most of it. I want my family to know that they are the most important thing in my life, and I would trade anything for them. Family rallied around Cherie this past week, and we will continue to do so because we love her. Heavenly Father put us in families for that very reason. He also gave us the gospel, which is a huge blessing in our lives. We can be with our families forever. I am so grateful to have married into such a wonderful family, and to be surrounded by such wonderful members of my ward family. Each of you makes me want to be a better person. You all have touched my life so much.

7 comments:

Mommy Wishdom said...

Kelly and Brent - I am so sorry for your loss. I dont know the right words to ease your pain. I will pray for your families though - that they can find some stength right now to move through this.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear such devastating news. You're in my prayers!

Cami said...

Kelly, those were everything we all would want to say. I am too very thankful for my mom and Kent. He never really had a choice and just was welcoming with all the grandkids sleepovers! I am thankful that he loves my mom so much and made her so happy. My heart aches for her and we will grieve together until we are all reunited again. Families are forever and what a blessing this gospel is in our lives. Thank you for sharing this with everyone!

Wendy said...

I am so sorry Kelly & Brent! You guys are in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Kelly and Brent,
I'm so sorry for your loss. That is a beautiful post... Families are Forever. My prayers are with you and your family.

Devin, Natalie, Zachary, Katelyn said...

Kelly and Brent,

I am so sorry to hear of such sad news and such a tragic accident. Please tell all of your family and especially Cheri our family will keep you all in our prayers. We love you all so much and wish we could see you!
Natalie

Cami said...

Oh, you guys I am so sorry about your loss. That is so tough. Can I do anything. Your in my thoughts at this time.